Mr. Mike, Balding Art Teacher, in action!

Mr. Mike, Balding Art Teacher, in action!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

I set up this blog three years ago; a student tutored me in the process of setting it up. I enjoyed creating it, then left it to its own devices until now. The reason I'm renewing my relationship with this abandoned cyber-child is because my school district is trying to push me into learning and trying new things. Imagine that! I mean, learning and trying new things is okay for the kids, but . . . oh, wait.

I have found the process of getting started with the 11tools course frustrating and, at times, confusing, but you know what? That's how some of the best learning takes place. One thing I've learned as an educator is that sometimes, if kids are launching into a learning experience like it's just something routine and well in the middle of their comfort zone, they may just be going through the motions. I think a lot of the best learning for any of us happens when we come to the frontiers of what we know and have to start hacking through the wilderness of our ignorance. My kids complain when we do this, and I find myself wishing, sometimes, that I hadn't pushed them into a new experience with all of the complaints, inevitable disasters, and general messiness. But that's education - there's a place for routine and things we know well, but sometimes we have to "Lewis-and-Clark" it.

3 comments:

  1. One more thing! I intend to put up a gallery of my some of my kids' art work as well as more of my own, since I like to toot my own horn like most people. In the meantime, you can see some of this stuff on my facebook page. Knock on that door, and I'll "friend" you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your attitude! I wish everyone shared it (I did a district wide 11 Tools Help Session earlier this week).
    Did you know you can edit your blog and make changes if you want fix a mistake or expand on something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Mike you are doing a great job, on your 11 tools, keep up the good job. Have a super summer.

    ReplyDelete